photo credit: http://www.bakeorbreak.com
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
original recipe: http://www.bakeorbreak.com/2011/12/banana-cake-with-cream-cheese-frosting/
For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 large egg white, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup milk
For the frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 & 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted nuts (optional)
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray an 8-inch square pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, oil, and sugar. Beat in eggs and egg white, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mash bananas with milk. Set aside.
- Gradually mix half of dry ingredients into butter mixture. Mix in bananas. Mix in remaining dry ingredients. Pour cake batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack.
To make the frosting:
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese and vanilla. Reduce speed and gradually add confectioners’ sugar.
- Spread frosting on cake. Sprinkle with nuts.