photo credit: http://blog.lehighvalleylive.com
Apple Cider Cupcakes with Butter Filling and Caramel Frosting
original recipe: http://blog.lehighvalleylive.com/local-food-recipes/2011/05/apple_cider_cupcakeswapple_but.html
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- apple butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 10 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350. Grease or line 12 cupcake wells (I used a silicon baking pan, with a mist of pancoat). In large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture, then 1/2 of the cider, and repeat, ending with the last of the flour and mixing only until incorporated. Pour into prepared cupcake pan, filling each cup 3/4 way full. Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Cool thoroughly, inject with apple butter in the center of the cupcake, then frost.
1. Melt brown sugar and 4 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil over medium heat; remove from heat. Whisk in cream; blend well. Transfer to a heat-resistant bowl. Cool at room temperature, stirring occasionally.
2. Place remaining 6 tablespoons butter and cream cheese in a large bowl; beat with a mixer on medium-high speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla and salt. With mixer running, slowly pour in cooled brown sugar mixture; beat until smooth. Add powdered sugar gradually, beating well after each addition until completely smooth. Chill slightly for a firmer texture, stirring occasionally.